Let me give you a little background first..Each year for Christmas we try to find something different for the little kids instead of the usual toys and clothes they don’t need. One year it was horseback riding, another year it was design your own Converse tennis shoes and one year all of us went to Disneyland and spent the night in a hotel…fun memory making things that they still talk about! This year I was pursuing the Zoo magazine and noticed something called Roar and Snore Camp. You get to sleep in tents surrounded by animals…how cool would that be. So I signed myself and my 3 favorite girls up for an overnight camp as their Christmas present this year.
One week ago my three favorite little girls and I set out on a memories making adventure…. Roar and Snore Sleep-Over Camp at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
We checked in and anxiously awaited time to head to our campsite. Once everyone was checked in and we had our tent assignments..tent #37 for us, we headed down the trail to have dinner (hot dogs, hamburgers or BBQ chicken with all the fixin’s). After eating we had time to go to our tent and look around. Tent #37 was a nice tent…queen bed plus 2 cots, wooden floor, nice sheets and a comforter that I wanted to bring home with me. We headed out for our 2 hour hike to see and learn about some of the animals at night. We saw snakes (got to pet it), elephants, cheetahs, Giraffes, gorillas, hedgehog and although there isn’t a picture we saw and heard the lions all night long!! Talk about waking you up…they can roar really loud!
After our 2 hours walk it was time for dessert…camping…firepit…you guess it s’mores. (no pictures because they inhaled those s’mores. After s’mores they did a drum circle around the firepit…this could have been the girls favorite thing of the night!
They were drumming fools! The guy taught the group different ways to hit the drum to make different sounds…talk about kids making a lot of noise but what a great time they had doing it. After that it was time for bed and lights out..wake up time was 6:15 and breakfast was at 7:00. After breakfast we had another 1 1/2 hour hike around the park before camp was finished! We gathered our stuff and packed it away in the car before heading back in to walk around to check out our favorite parts of the park. I picked the gorillas to see the 4 month old baby (so cute but I only got 1 picture before the battery died on the camera), Bug wanted to ride the tram all around the african area of the park, Lu Who choose the tigers which happened to be sleeping under the trees by the time we hiked to the opposite side of the park and Abbey Ruby just wanted to ride the carousel by the exit. We had a quick-lunch and headed for home. I think all 3 girls feel asleep on the way home from being so tired.
I think this will be one memory that all of us will remember forever! I know I had a great time with my 3 favorite girls and am so thankful they all live close enough for us to have our special times together!
It’s time for the first weigh in for June Tune-Up! So without further ado….
Not what I was hoping for but at least I have a loss. Karena is doing a great job of push and encouraging me when I need it so I need to hang tough for our team…Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification (think Big Bang Theory). I have been trying to be aware of what I’m eating throughout the day and getting some exercise in but a quick review of the goals I set last Friday is in order…just to keep me honest.
- Exercise at least 4 days per week – CHECK – I spent at least 3 hours walking around the Safari Park on Saturday night and Sunday and have walked both Monday and Tuesday.
- Track my food everyday and meal plan. – FAIL – I did neither of these so going to work harder this week
- blog more often – FAIL – I spent Saturday night camping at the Safari Park and just didn’t have it in me to write. So very tired but I do want to write about the wonderful time I had with my little girls and all the memories we created.
- Spend more quality time with family and friends. –CHECK – I spent some real quality time with my little girls and have been trying to be aware of the time I have spent on the iPad in the evening. I haven’t been perfect but I’ve improved.
Overall I would say I’m off to a good start…now the hard part is to keep the mojo going in the right direction. One day and one step at a time!
Hey…anyone left out there…let me to grab a dust rag to get the dust out of the nooks and crannies of this little blog. 6 months is way to long to be missing in action!
It’s time for a new challenge over at the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans. This time around it’s a 4 week challenge called June Tune-Up!
Karena from traveling-well.com has agreed to partner with me to kick some serious weight to the curb. Our team is Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification or CVA for short. Anyone who watches Big Bang Theory will get the name…Sheldon is a favorite of ours.
So with a new challenge comes a weigh in. I really didn’t like the number I saw but I wasn’t surprised. I only posted this picture for accountibility…I cringed every time I see it. A year ago I was about 162 and today I’m 180. Oh my gosh what can happen in a year is crazy. But I’m moving past that number and going to push forward.
I need to make some goals just to keep myself accountable to more than a number on the scale. So without further ado…
- Exercise at least 4 days per week (6 would be better but I’ll take 4..gotta start somewhere).
- Track my food everyday and meal plan. I really need to get back to tracking and measuring. Eyeballing how much I’m eating just isn’t getting results…surprize surprize!
- blog more often..daily if possible even if it’s just a few sentences. Going back and reading past posts was a little eye-opening. I was in a good place a year ago and I let that all slip away.
- Spend more quality time with family and friends. I have fallen into a bad habit of vegging in front of the tv with my iPad in hand in the evening. I want to spend that time actually talking to my hubby or having a glass of wine with a friend. Life is speeding by everyday and I don’t want to have any regrets later!
That’s it…it’s going to take a lot of work to get me back to where I was a year ago but I’m up for it. Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification will be kicking pounds to the curb so watch out!
Wow…it has been a long time since I have visited here and if you could see the muffin top at the top of my pants you would know why. I’m not going to go back and give you a thousand excuses for why I haven’t blogged or exercised or eaten right. I’m starting over with a clean slate or at least as clean as it can be!
The Sisterhood started a new challenge on January 1st – Shrink yo Self. There are lots of mini challenges going on and weekly weigh ins and more support than you can imagine. So I decided to give the challenge a go and try to lose the almost 13 pounds I have put on since vacation in September. This morning I weighed in at 175. It was more before I started chugging water and planning my meals. That’s the heaviest I have been since November 2010 and I’m not happy about it.
Part of the challenge is to set some goals and I have decided to set short term goals. So in no particular order –
- plan our meals and log everything I eat. I have seriously been slacking on this one but that is going to change.
- Drink at least 96 oz of water a day. This will be something I really have to work on because I am a Diet Dr Pepper addict. So far I am doing a good job of only having 1 Diet Dr Pepper a day and that’s when that late afternoon drag catches up with me.
- get back to exercising at least 30 minutes a day…I have done hardly any exercising since I came back from vacation which was in September. That is so sad!
But I’m getting off the pity party train once again and going to give it my best shot to lose some of this muffin top I have going on. Here’s to a better 2012 and to learning from my mistakes in 2011.
It’s check in time once again. I’m not very happy with myself right now. I didn’t exercise enough, didn’t eat right and didn’t log anything. 3 big things that will probably lead to my exit to Exile Island. This picture will show you exactly what I mean –
This is the trash can at my desk…said trash can was empty on Monday morning when I came to work. Fast forward to Wednesday at noon…said trash can has 5 Diet Dr Pepper cans, 2 plates that once had a donut on them, 3 bowls that had salty nuts and pub mix contained within and one lonely water bottle. Sad isn’t it!! I know I have had more water than 1 bottle (tossed in the recycle can which is where that mess is going). I glanced at that and know where my problem is but the question is do I have what I need to change it. I say every week this is going to be different and every week it’s the same. I do really good for a few days and then I go back to my old ways.
I’m going back to tracking and meal planning on Sparkpeople.com. I have to find a way to change and get back on track. This worked the first time I tried it and I know if I work at doing it correctly it will work again.
Oh and just in case you are wondering…I weighed in at 169.6 – up .8 and minutes were 165. Here’s to a better week!
It’s check in time for Shrinkvivor. I didn’t do my best this week so I wasn’t to surprised when I stepped on the scales and it said 168.8 (sorry no proof this week). That’s only a .2 loss from last week. Not at all what I was hoping for but definitely better than I deserve.
I may very well end up on Exile Island with my poor showing this week. I’ve decided I need to work on my attitude toward losing weight and exercise. I get discouraged if I have a bad day and I eat instead of getting out and exercising. I know I feel better if I just move instead of being a couch potato. The only way to do better is to change the attitude which will help my motivation and mental outlook. Fewer pity parties would be a good thing too. I really want this challenge to be a positive thing for me to do. So far I’ve been anything but positive about the experience. I’m not only hurting myself but my team and that just isn’t acceptable. So starting today I’m going to check the bad attitude at the door and when I feel that negative depressing push I’m going to do something about it. I’m open for suggestions or ideas that work for you to rid those little voices or feelings from your head. Bring them on…I need all the help I can get to go with my butt kicking volunteers!
It’s that time again…True Confession! I haven’t been around much lately because all I seem to do is whine and complain. But I’m hoping to change that whining and complaining into something good. So on to the Confessions part –
- I was really excited to start “Shrinkvivor” but that isn’t really obvious in my exercise minutes and weight loss so far this week.
- I’ve barely done any exercise this week in fact. I have to get something done this evening or my minutes will be pretty low.
- I might have had a couple to many beers on Saturday night and then laid around all day Sunday watching mindless TV. That’s 2 weekends in a row I have spent at least one day lying around watching mindless tv. Not a good choice!
- I know I feel better if I get out and move so why all the lying around and mindless tv. Oh yeah…beers!!!
- My eating hasn’t been terrible but I could do so much better.
- Water drinking is slow on a good day. Not many Diet Dr Peppers but more ice tea (it’s unsweetened though).
- I think I have only wogged once or twice since I got home from vacation. I just can’t find my mojo to get out there so my C25K training is so far behind I will be walking the “Run the Hood” 5K on the 22nd. I’ll get out there and do it just not in the way I wanted to.
- I had a great vacation and thought I was going to kick it up a notch when I returned. So far I haven’t kicked anything except my motivation to the curb.
Enough whining and complaining…I hope I can get back on track and do my best for the remainder of the challenge. Maybe some good old fashion ass kicking is in ordered…any volunteers???